Friday, November 14, 2014

Beginnings




                                                                                       

I spent days thinking about it.  My northern neighbor had a cat.  My southern neighbor had a chihuahua.  The lease said "NO PETS" and yet...

Everyday for a week, I thought about going to the pound.  I made every excuse not to.  I had classes and homework.  It was so far away.  I was too tired from life. Et Cetera.  I woke up on October 9th and I knew that was the day.  I got into the car and made the trek to the pound.  I saw many adorable dogs, but the one that captured my interest- a timid chow- was not available.  Then I found Jack.

He was in a kennel with three chihuahuas and, though they were crowding the gate to bark at my roommate and I, Jack pushed passed them and sat silently before us.  At that moment, I knew he was my dog.  He was a stray who had been brought in that morning.  It's said he was found at Central and Wyoming.  I couldn't walk him, then.  We barely got to say hello before the chihuahuas pushed him back.  I placed him on a priority hold.

What followed was the longest week of my life.  Night by night I wondered where he would sleep. Would he be a lap dog?  Would he be a cuddler?  Should he sleep in a kennel?  What kind of food would he like?  Would it be hard to train him?

I knew he would have issues from being a stray for five months.
I determined that I would teach him in Japanese to be unique.

When the day finally came, I was racked with nerves.  What would come with this new responsibility?

Although this all began a month ago, I aim to here chronicle the adventures of Captain Jack.












No comments:

Post a Comment