Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Basic Training: Come, Sit, Wait

Of these three, "Come" (来て、kite) has been the easiest, followed by "sit" (座って 、 suatte), and we're still working on "Wait" (待って、matte.)

When we first began training, I tried my best not to use words.  It helped me with self control.  He didn't know what my words meant and being quiet kept me from yelling the same thing repeatedly and feeling foolish when he stared at me.

To get him to come to me, I kept treats on me constantly.  I would wait until he was far away from me and then squat down so that he was eye level with me.  Then, I'd make an interesting sound to get his attention- usually a whistle or a raspberry- and when he came over, I would give him a treat.  After that, I started integrating word commands with my posturing and when he came, I rewarded him.  Today if either I say 「来て」or he sees me squatting, he will come to me.  As long as there's nothing more interesting going on.  He is still a puppy!  Ultimately, I would like for him to come and sit directly in front of me when I call him to me, but we'll have to work on that.

As for teaching him to sit, I would crouch and hold something precious to him (treat, toy, whatever), and not let him get to it.  I would fend him off for as long as it took for him to sit down, and then I would hold it out to him and wait for him to relax.  He has a curly tail and I know that when the tip touches the ground that means he's relaxed.  Then I would hold up one finger as if to say "one moment" and I would give him his prize.

The great thing about this tactic is that in the process of teaching him to sit, he also learned to wait and he learned who the boss is, although the latter still comes into question!  Now, when I have his attention and I hold up my finger, he is quite inclined to sit.  I can call 「座って」across the room and he will plunk down.   He's also already inclined to politely take things as a result of this teaching.

Since I already had him waiting for his prize, I began giving him a command to wait as I offered him a prize. He's already associated the ideas.  We're still working on getting him to wait as I cross the room. I can only get a certain distance before he thinks his food is running off and chases me down.




First, I have him sit.  I make sure he knows that I have a treat and I back away from him, with my hand out, palm facing him.  I repeat 「待って」, despite my previous no-word formula.  When I'm ready, I give him the command to come.  I like this method because it works all three commands at once: sit, wait, and come.





Training is challenging.  It takes time, patience, and a positive attitude.  I learned the hard way that it is important to take a break when I get frustrated.  When I am happy, calm, and know I have control, everything more smoothly goes.  When I become frustrated, everything becomes difficult.  If I lose command over myself, I lose command over Jack.  Together we live, together we learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment